DOCTRINE: OUR POSITION IN CHRIST
1. Positional truth is a term used to describe and define the doctrine, it refers to all that is involved in the believers' spiritual union with Christ; our new position "in Christ" or "in Him" which occurs at salvation for ALL believers in the Church Age.
2. Our New Position constitutes a new beginning for the believer, neutralizing the effects of our previous position in Adam. 1 Cor.15:22
a. Our position in Adam is the result of the imputation of Adam's original sin [AOS] to the indwelling sin nature resulting in spiritual death; one is born physically alive but spiritually dead.
b. Position in Christ replaces spiritual death with eternal life and guarantees us a future resurrection.
Eternal Life replaces death - Rom. 6:23;
Resurrection is guaranteed - 1 Cor.15:51-52; 1 Ths. 4:13-16
3. Our New Position is totally the work of God. 1 Cor. 1:30
4. Our New Position begins with the baptism of the Holy Spirit, [BHS], which is one of the 5 things that God the Holy Spirit [G/HS] does for every believer in the church age at SALVATION.
a. Regeneration - [new birth] Jn 3:1-16; Titus 3:5 (done by G/HS for every believer from Adam to the end of millennium)
b. BHS - 1 Cor 12:13 (entrance into a royal relationship)
c. Sealing - 2 Cor ; Eph ; ,14
d. Indwelling - Rom 8:9; 1 Cor ; ,20; Gal 3:2; 4:6;
e. Giving of a Spiritual gift - 1 Cor (gifts are designed to provide for the local church's function so that we can fulfill our responsibility as believers)
5. Our New position qualifies us as believers to live with God forever; If we are to live with God forever we must:
a. have forgiveness for all sins - accomplished by faith in His work on the cross bearing our sins - being judged on behalf of us. 1 Pet ;
b. be as righteous as God - accomplished through the imputation of +R, God's righteousness which is credited to us at salvation and therefore God can say JUSTIFIED! 2 Cor
c. have the same life as God - eternal life - also imparted at salvation to the Believer. 1 Jn ,12; as a result of regeneration.
6. The carnal, negative, or rebellious believer as well as the believer who is in fellowship share equally in their position in Christ. 1 Cor. 1:2,30 cf. 3:1-3
- The sin nature's rulership is not an issue as to one's position;
- It has everything to do with our day to day fellowship with Christ.
7. Our new position protects us as believers from eternal judgment. Rom 8:1
8. Our new position produces a new creature in Christ. 2 Cor
- what grace accomplishes at SALVATION is based on who and what Christ is [it is the change of position that provides the foundation, the basis for all changes in life.]
- All bona fide changes in time, in the life of the believer are the result of a response to the Word of God, BD.
- As the Norms and Standards [N&S] of the conscience are being renewed and applied, one is said to be growing in grace.
- This is a transformation not a reformation.
9. Our new position guarantees the eternal security of the
believer. Rom 8:38-39
10. Positional truth exists in two categories:
a. Retroactive positional truth: [RAPT] Rom. 6:3-8; Col. 2:12,
1) The believer is identified with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection, which guarantees that we share in His victory on the cross.
2) This results in the rejection of human good as a basis for salvation. Titus 3:5
3) It becomes the basis for victory in the Christian life, the application of positional truth to experience because the SIN NATURE has been dealt with by the Lord Jesus Christ on the cross. Rom 6:6
Point is that the sin nature no longer has to rule you; you have died to the sin nature, [6:2] and are freed from it [6:7].
b. Current positional truth: [CPT]
1) This speaks of the believer being identified with Christ at the right hand of Father in the heavenlies.
11. On the basis of this new position, the believer shares certain things which Christ possesses:
(CPT - is the present reality for each believer)
a. The life of Christ, eternal life; 1 Jn 5:11-12; Jn 20:31
b. The righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ; 2 Cor 5:21
c. The election of Christ; Eph 1:4
d. The destiny of Christ; Eph 1:5
e. The Sonship of Christ; Rom. -17; Gal. 3:26
f. The heirship of Christ; Rom. 8:16-17; 1 Pet. 1:4-5
g. The priesthood of Christ; Heb. 10:10-14; 1 Pet. 2:5-9
h. The eternal
12. Summary observations related to our position in Christ:
a. It is not an experience nor is it associated with emotion or ecstatics.
b. It is not progressive - it can not be improved upon in time or in eternity.
c. It is not related to human merit or human good (an implication of retroactive positional truth, being identified with Christ).
d. Positional truth is eternal therefore will last forever and cannot be changed by God, Angels, or man's actions.
e. Positional truth is obtained in a second, in a moment of time, accomplished by the BHS at the point of faith in Christ.