DECISION – MAKING WITHIN THE WILL OF GOD
f. Our decisions should not only conform to God-given goals, they should reflect right attitudes.
Examples of God's will for our attitudes:
(1) love others Jn 13:35; 1 Thes. 4:9; 1 John 3:11
(2) reliance/trust Prov 3:5-6
(3) humility Phil 2:3-8 (includes authority orientation and teachableness)
(7) eagerness 1 Pet 5:2 (P/T)
(8) generosity 1 Tim 6:17-19
(9) courage Jn 16:33; 2 Cor 5:8
(10) submission Eph 5:21
(11) contentment Heb 13:5; Phil 4:11
(12) joy Jas. 1:2
(13) giving thanks Eph 5:20
g. God is also concerned about our behavior, (actions) for the end does not justify just any means.
(1) With proper goals in view, and right attitudes at heart (in B/S), our actions must be lawful (they must not be outside of the revealed will of God - Eph 5:1-14; especially 5:8,10);
(2) and they must be wise (the believer is not to make a decision he knows to be foolish - Eph 5:15-17; Lk 14:28-32)
(3) Knowledge of the MWOG gives us not only discernment that is of good and evil but also of what is wise and foolish, that is gives us spiritual common sense.
h. Our perspective on life will largely determine the degree to which we pursue godly goals with righteous attitudes and wise actions, since no decision is made in a vacuum.
(1) The Christian with a world view (perspective) shaped by Scripture will have a much different sense of self-identity.
(2) This believer will face life with a deep sense of security knowing that he is loved by God with a love which he did nothing to earn (and which, therefore, he can do nothing to forfeit - Rom 8:31-39).
(3) This believer has a clear grasp of his personal worth because he is aware that God has specifically equipped him to participate meaningfully in the outworking of the eternal purposes of God. Eph 2:10; 1 Pet 4:10-11
(4) Both of these (a strong sense of security and significance in Christ) free the Christian from self promoting motivations in decision making, and release him to focus more on the needs of others. Phil 2:1-5
(5) The believer is also reminded that he is on assignment for God in enemy territory. Eph (we’re in the world not of it)
(6) That physical life on earth is preparatory for life in Phase 3, and hence, what one invests for God now will be repaid with interest latter. Mt -21; Rom ; 2 Cor