The Brain Soul Complex
DOCTRINE: OLD SIN NATURE (Part 2)
a. The soul comes from God perfect and sinless via creation at conception.
b. The soul is plugged into the BC throughout life (2 Cor.5:1-5)
c. The soul is to the brain what a programmer is to a computer.
d. The problem exists when the programmer (Real You) becomes enslaved to the computer (sin nature). Rom. 6:6....that we should no longer be slaves of sin."
e. The soul constitutes the Real You since it survives death and is where all decisions are made: good or bad
f. The soul of the believer dictates to the B/C to produce either sin or righteousness, the former state puts the OSN-B/C in rulership of the life while the latter implies the rulership of the Holy Spirit.
g. So the issue for man in the A/C is to overrule the B/C by reprogramming it with divine viewpoint.
Ps 40:8 "I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart."
Psa. 119:11 "Your word have I stored up in my heart that I may not sin against You."
also 2 Cor 3:2-3; Heb 8:10; 10:16; Ps 37:30-31; Jer 31:33.
2. Synonyms for the SIN NATURE
1. Sin in the singular [all through Rom. 6 and 7] Rom ,13,21; 1 Jn 1:8
3. Mortal body Ro 6:12
4. Old man - old self; Eph. 4:22; Col. 3:9
5. Evil Rom
6. Corruptible man. Ro. 1:23
7. Fleshly or Carnal 1 Cor. 3:1-4 sarkikoj
8. Fleshly mind. Col. 2:18
9. Seed which is perishable (fqartoj corruptible/transitory, speaks of the nature or character of the seed) 1 Pet
10. Body of this death Ro 7:24
11. Body of sin Rom 6:6 (sin possessed body)
12. Any passage describing personal sin, human good or evil as its source from the heart. Jer 17:9; Mt 12:34-35; Mk7:21-23; Heb 3:10; Rom 1:24; Acts 5:3,4; Prov 12:8; evil heart - Jer 3:17; 7:24; 11:8; 18:12.
(B/C with the sin nature dominating the real you therefore the r/o of the soul is personal sin, human good or evil.)
3. Origin of the sin nature in mankind
a. Adam the federal head of the human race is the source of the sin nature. (Gen 2,3; Rom )
1. Adam at the outset was perfect in body and soul since God is not the sponsor or creator of sin or temptation.
2. The woman first then the man developed a trend away from God; this trend itself was not sinful.
- this was indicated by her conversations with the serpent
3. This trend was converted into a sinful trend when they committed the first sin of mankind - ate of the tree.
4. This first sin is known as AOS (Adam's original sin) and the trend is converted to the sin nature by the judgment of God for the fall.
5. The original sin (eating of the tree) came from volition, a choice, since they did not possess a sin nature at that point.
6. By choosing for the knowledge of good and evil Adam chose a new ruler of life, the sin nature that he received as part of the judgment for his sin.
7. So at the point of the fall, two major developments occurred:
a. Satan became the ruler of the world through the sin nature
b. The sin nature became the ruler of life (Eph.2:1-3).
8. So, Mankind is ruled by Satan through the sin nature. (Jn 8:44; 1 Jn 3:8).
9. Adam's sin based on his trend produced spiritual death in him (Gen.2:16,17 cp. Gen 3:6-7)
b. Adam immediately after the fall exhibited characteristics that we as his progeny also exhibit. [presence of sin nature]
1. Attempt to cover his own sins: "operation fig leaves."
- sought to handle the guilt of his sin from human effort/human good
2. Exhibited fear based on ignorance, attempted to hide.
3. Adam became the object/target of Satanic reprogramming: nakedness between husband and wife was suddenly wrong to them ("operation cover up").
4. Failure to assume responsibility for sins: ("operation pass the buck")
- making excuses, he blamed the woman ()
- while the woman blamed the snake ()